IATI Community Tech Calls: Tool builders and developers

The IATI Technical Team are keen to facilitate a community of developers/interested parties who have an interest in IATI-related tools and services (products). We see that this has benefits to share knowledge and news that might be useful (most immediately) to each other and (more widely) to support the success of IATI.

We are asking if there is interest to set-up and run regular (perhaps monthly or two-monthly) online calls for developers/tool builders to share news and updates regarding IATI-related products that they use/build/maintain.

It could also be a forum for participants to pose questions or ask for thoughts on how to approach specific challenges that they are facing in building IATI-related products.

The calls could also prove to be a useful Q&A for the central IATI Technical Team to comment on our immediate work plans.

Possible agenda

A possible standing agenda for each (1 hour) call might be:

• Introductions: Who is on the call
  • News: What IATI technical projects are participants currently working on?
    • How is it going?
    • Any challenges you are facing? Do you have an approach to overcome these? Would you like to gain input from the community?
  • Announcements: Including upcoming events/other projects/jobs that might be of interest to the community
  • Close

Any interested party is welcome to join, although be aware that the calls will likely be of a technical nature.

Good idea? Post below if you are interested

If you would be interested in joining, please post a reply to this thread below. If there is significant interest (more than 3 replies), we will set-up a Doodle poll to find a convenient time for this to occur.

Comments on format and structure welcome

We are keen for any thoughts on how to make this sort of call relevant and useful to participants, so are open to any suggestions you have regarding either an initial or ongoing IATI technical calls.

N.B. Tagging those who might be particularly interested in this post. Please feel free to tag anyone we might have missed (as a reply) or share this post in your tech networks.
@siemvaessen @VincentVW @bibhusan @anjesh @bjwebb @stevieflow @TimDavies @rory_scott @andylolz

Edit [2017-02-08]: There is enough interest - now let’s find a good time!

We’ve set-up a Doodle poll for those interested in joining our first call. There are hourly options between Monday 13 and Friday 23 February - so hopefully we can find a good time for everyone, although if not we will select a time that is convenient to the majority.

Edit [2017-02-09]: Time now selected

Following 7 responses to our Doodle poll, Tuesday 21 February 2017 at [11:00 GMT / 12:00 CET / 06:00 EST] has been selected.

Others are still very welcome to join, do post below so that we don’t forget you from our expected attendee list :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good idea, count me in.

Great idea, I’m also in.

Great, I’m in

Dan Mihaila

Thanks for posting your interest @siemvaessen @markbrough and @danmihaila

We’ve set-up a Doodle poll for those interested in joining our first call. There are hourly options between Monday 13 and Friday 23 February - so hopefully we can find a good time for everyone, although if not we will select a time that is convenient to the majority.

+1. Will doodle, and alert @TimDavies @bjwebb & @rory_scott

that’s a big poll btw!

Yeah, as in 90 options huge! Looks like we have a date for 21-02 however. Phew.

@VincentVW mark 21-02 down :alarm_clock:

Thanks to @siemvaessen @stevieflow @VincentVW @leighhmitchell @hayfield @TimDavies for completing the Doodle.

It seems like Tuesday 21 February 2017 at [11:00 GMT / 12:00 CET / 06:00 EST] is the only time that works for all of us who responded, so let’s book this in!

I’ve now closed the Doodle poll, but others are still very welcome to join, do post below so that we don’t forget you from our expected attendee list :slight_smile:

A link (probably google hangouts) will be posted in this thread in the week leading up to the event. If anyone has any thoughts on additions/modifications to the suggested agenda, please do post too!

Looking forward to speaking in just under a couple weeks.

1 Like

I will join the call too.

Noted, I’d like to join too!

I should be able to join too.

Great – I’d like to join too! Thanks

Think this is a great idea and happy to join!

Great idea!
I am happy to join

Hi - me to. I know it’s for developers but I’d like to join if that’s ok as I can help connect people and feedback on issues we’re finding from the standard user perspective where that would be useful.

Thanks to @danmihaila, @rolfkleef, @bjwebb, @andylolz, @tdavis, @Wilbrod and @SJohns for signalling their attendance - will be great to have you all join!

We will be posing the URL to join the call on Monday morning - watch this space…

@SJohns - yes will be great to have you join too and always good to have a user perspective.

Thanks Dale could you add me to the list too please

@siemvaessen, @stevieflow, @VincentVW, @leighhmitchell, @hayfield, @TimDavies, @danmihaila, @rolfkleef, @bjwebb, @andylolz, @tdavis, @Wilbrod, @SJohns and @Matt

Thanks to all those who have signed up ahead of tomorrow’s call (11:00 - 12:00 GMT) - we’re looking forward to speaking! Here’s the link to join: https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/117593413

(Unfortunately we can’t be sure that our Google hangouts account can cope with this overwhelming demand, hence we’re switching to gotomeeting).

Gotomeeting offers a web-based login. Alternatively, you can also dial in using a standard telephone:
United Kingdom: +44 330 221 0086
United States: +1 (312) 757-3126
Access Code: 117-593-413

First GoToMeeting? Try a test session: http://help.citrix.com/getready

in terms of an agenda, could we suggest that we stick with the agenda in the first post (we’ll need to keep introductions brief given our numbers!) and iterate accordingly in future calls.