[Implemented as bug fix] ActivityStatus codes - mixup of descriptions for codes 3 & 4?

Sorry to revive this thread – I’ve just run into exactly the same issue, and was perplexed by the documentation!

That’s part of the issue… But there’s also the codelist item names. It’s reasonable to assume the status with the English name ‘Post Completion’ comes after ‘Completion’. Similarly, the French name ‘Fermé’ sounds like it comes after ‘Finalisation’. So the names don’t really match the descriptions, either.

In that case, perhaps it would be useful to:

1. Change the names of the codelist items to better reflect the descriptions, and
  2. Consider reordering the codelist items in the documentation? I.e. list item 3 after item 4. Like this:

Thanks for the comments @andylolz and it would be good to know what option publishers and others would prefer. If we were to re-order the codelist (and make the change as part of an integer upgrade) would publishers be happy to amend any existing published data or would the effort required outweigh any benefit?

Thanks @Wendy! I’ve edited my previous comment to make it clearer that I’m after a solution that wouldn’t require an integer upgrade. I’m fast realising that is tricky!

So just to state: I think it’s okay that the codelist codes don’t proceed in numerically ascending order (according to descriptions and usage). For me, the only problem is that the names and descriptions don’t match, so the documentation is ambiguous. If this could somehow be clarified outside of an integer upgrade (e.g. by reordering the codes in the documentation only, or renaming the codes, or even adding an explanatory note in the documentation) then that would be great.

I don’t think this has made its way to list on Standards Day?

Not that I recall, despite having 120-odd items on Bill’s list.

I don’t think this made it to 2.03 - as it was not on the list

Is this still in need of fixing though? In the same way we’re considering the commitments/budget description to be a “bug”?

–> @bill_anderson @Herman ?

1 Like

@stevieflow

Agree, the current definitions are confusing. The problem though is i.m.o. not the description, but the naming of the code. Post-completion suggests that this status comes after the completion status. This is not true though. The 'post-completion’ status comes before the completion status.

This would suggest renaming ‘post-completion’ to ‘pre-completion’, leaving the descriptions unchanged.

Well, note that the descriptions weren’t there at 1.0x: http://iatistandard.org/105/codelists/ActivityStatus/

As I mentioned above, “the names and descriptions don’t match, so the documentation is ambiguous.” So as I see it, the options are:

• Change the name (e.g. to pre-completion)
  • Change the description(s)
  • Add an explanatory note in the documentation

Of those, I’m most hopeful about option 3, given I suspect the other options will likely be viewed by @IATI-techteam as breaking changes.

I have just been reminded of this problem as I closely review (almost) all IATI codelists for translation. Codes 3 & 4 names remain mismatched with their descriptions.

@IATI-techteam , any progress towards a solution? What did you think of the options outlined by @andylolz ?

1 Like

@YohannaLoucheur are you in agreement with this, too?

Absolutely! The code names are in the wrong order (whereas the descriptions are in the right order).

In addition, FWIW, I think the French terms are slightly clearer. “Finalisation” implies that the closing process has started, but it doesn’t say that it’s completed. “Fermé” is unambiguously completed, done, over with. Is it worth trying to clarify the English by replacing “Post-completion” with “Closed”?

BTW, in line with the 1.04 upgrade that replaced all names with codes, the actual codelist is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. Names in various languages are simply attached to the codes; changing a name in one language should not be seen as a change to the standard.

2 Likes

I just noticed that this post has been filed into “3.01 Integer Upgrade Proposals”. I dont think I did that originally (the first post was July 2015!) so wanted to check @IATI-techteam

@stevieflow if you click the pencil next to the date on your original post, the edit history includes topic changes. This one was moved to #standard-management:3-01-integer-upgrade-proposals by @petyakangalova, back in Apr 2017.

I guess the thinking was that this requires an integer upgrade. I was hoping that wouldn’t be the case – or that improvements could be made prior to that.

I don’t see why this would require an integer upgrade. There are no changes to the codelist, only to the descriptions attached to the codes. We had a similar issue with the Aid Type descriptions and the mistake was simply corrected.

I support this idea - just change “post-completion” to “closed” to make it clearer, and to switch the descriptions round, to standardise with the French versions. I think it is clear that the names are the correct way round, and the descriptions the wrong way round, because:

1. the name of the code in English shows this progression (completion is followed by post-completion)
  2. the name of the post-completion code in French is clearly after completion (fermé follows finalisation)
  3. the numerical ordering is logical (an activity lifecycle should follow 1-2-3-4, not 1-2-4-3)

So this would become:

3 | Completion

Physical activity is complete or the final disbursement has been made, but the activity remains open pending financial sign off or M&E

4 | Closed

Physical activity is complete or the final disbursement has been made.

I also think this clearly falls under the category of “bug fixes” so could be implemented as a minor or decimal change (at least switching the descriptions round).

Any edits / objections @YohannaLoucheur @stevieflow @andylolz @Herman ?
How do we proceed with this @IATI-techteam ?

2 Likes

No edit or objection, fully support this. Thanks Mark!

2 Likes

Excellent summary, @markbrough!

I totally agree about flipping the descriptions. Descriptions were added in v2.01, and it’s clear that these descriptions included a bug. So the standard mechanism that exists to resolve this is as a bugfix.

On changing names: Important to note that Mark’s proposed name change does not change the meaning at all. It’s just for clarity.

Similarly, if we’re changing names, I wonder if “finalisation” is clearer than “completion”. So:

1. Pipeline/identification
  2. Implementation
  3. *Finalisation
  4. *Closed
1 Like

Happy with this change as well, agree that “Finalisation” is a bit clearer than “Completion”. But also happy to not change the name of code 3 if there are any particular objections to that.

1 Like

@andylolz, @markbrough Like your proposal. Agree that this could be in a decimal upgrade, since the actual codes are left unchanged.

1 Like

Thanks. Re: decimal upgrade - can a “bug fix” be done outside of this?

We have had that just recently with the budget/description description text in the schema.

That was discussed by users, resulting in a fix being proposed. This is now being implemented by the @IATI-techteam

3 Likes